Friday, July 6, 2012

Understanding your body

My holiday was filled with friends, ribs, golf cart rides, and fireworks. It was a beautiful day, and I am proud to say that I resisted the temptation to shovel food into my mouth at an ungodly rate. Maybe I do have will power, or maybe I'm learning it!

Something that I'd really like to stress with this update is the importance of listening to your body. Like I said, I don't diet. I refuse to diet because I love all things unhealthy too much to ever give them up. In my fat life, I ate because I was bored or because the sun shone, who knows. There was hardly ever hunger involved in my reasons for eating so much. Teaching myself to eat because I was hungry was the hardest thing about changing my lifestyle. The best advice that I could give is to put your body on an eating schedule. Eat well portioned meals and snacks around the same time everyday. Your body will get used to the new schedule and will adapt. You'll find yourself feeling full for longer periods of time because your body is aware of when it's going to receive food again. I don't really know if that's scientifically accurate, but I'm going with it. Drinking water can also help curve craving between feeding times. I've read a lot about how our bodies often confuse dehydration for hunger. They advise drinking a full glass of water and waiting before immediately raiding the pantry to see if your body is just dehydrated or if it's actually hungry. I drink water constantly and abide by a fairly consistent eating schedule, so I've stopped feeling hunger pains for the most part. It's a nice feeling to eat a reasonably portioned meal and feel completely satisfied. You'll be surprised at how fast your body will get used to your routine.

Yesterday was my rest day. My muscles have been so sore since I bumped my workouts up to two a day. I intended on going to yoga yesterday morning. The alarm blared at 7:30, but in my sleep, I shut it off. I didn't wake up until noon. That never happens to me! I love my mornings and the snooze button is rarely used. I think it was my body's way of telling me that it needed more time to recover. I am constantly preaching about the importance of listening to your body, and mine was clearly begging for more sleep.


Pinterest has been so good to me lately! I've found some of the best recipes, and I find myself wanting to cook more! Last night's dinner was a modified Pinterest find. The only change I made was adding turkey sausage to the meal. Big girl's gotta eat her meat! 


Blakely actually described this as the best meal I've ever made for him. I was so honored! 

Now that the 4th of July has passed, a great way to get back into your healthy routine is with a detox! Gross, I know. I've only used one because it's simple, cheap, and effective. I can't give you an idea of whether or not I lost any weight using it. I try to avoid the scale because in my opinion, numbers are nearly as important as how my body feels, but I felt so great after just two days with this detox! It's so easy! Substitute ALL drinks for this apple cinnamon water. 


Slice an apple and add a stick of cinnamon to a gallon of water. Put it in the fridge until it's cool enough to drink, or add ice if you'd like it right away. Give it a go! 

My entire life has been devoted to ridding myself of my disgusting love handles. My mother has always told me that I come by them honestly, but I don't care! I want them gone. Believe me, they have slimmed down since losing 117 pounds, but not nearly as much as I'd like them to. From this day forth, I am forcing myself to target my muffin top. I found these exercises that specifically target the midsection. Maybe this will be it for my spare tire! 
You can see the words a little clearer if you go to the blog that I got it from. 

She also has a lot of great tips for healthy eating habits! Check it out. 



No comments:

Post a Comment