Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Guilty pleasures

Happy Independence Day, all! I hope your day is filled with lots of grilled goodies and delectable desserts! I'm anxiously waiting for Blakely to wake up. Every 4th of July we spend the day randomly belting out ridiculous patriotic songs at the top of our lungs. It's the most ridiculous tradition ever. Our relationship is full of ridiculousness! 


I didn't update yesterday because I spent the day running errands with a friend and catching up on laundry. I managed to squeeze in a 4.5 mile run in the morning, and boy was it hot. It was already 93 degrees at 8:15 in the morning. I can't even imagine what July is going to be like! My breakfast included a banana oat breakfast cookie from my previous post and a whole banana. After about a mile and a half of my run, I began to really regret the whole banana. For lunch, I made another Pinterest meal! 


Here is the recipe! If you like really fresh vegetables, you will LOVE this! 

I managed to stay on track for the beginning part of my day, but once Nanci came over, it was on like fat Donkey Kong.I try to be good about what I eat. Deep down, I think I might have some type of binge eating disorder. Once I taste the sweet chocolaty goodness of candy, there is no taming the beast. I've been craving candy all week. I've been able to subside these cravings by drinking a cup of coffee or eating healthy sweets, like fruit. Yesterday broke me. I bought a bag of Reese's Pieces and inhaled them in like, 3 minutes. I try to be realistic because I'd like for my readers to see the everyday battle between good and fat. This is the constant struggle that I am always referring to, and I'd be lying if I said that I never give in. It's still incredibly difficult for me to steer off track briefly and then hop immediately back on the good choice train. I always feel that if I make one mistake in my day, the entire day is blown and it ends up being a fat fest. Self-control is something that I lack. 

Nanci and I went to see Magic Mike. I think the only thing I crave more than chocolate is Channing Tatum, so our matinee definitely fed that craving. We got to the theatre and the smell of buttery delight overwhelmed me. I was taken back to my movie theatre days where the only things I had to eat for the entire day were the nachos I could sneak, the candy I could steal, and the popcorn that I caught in a cup fresh out of the popper. No wonder I was 285 pounds. 
I gave in... again. I bought a small popcorn, doused it in butter, and ate half the bag by myself during the first 30 minutes of the movie. 
Dinner consisted of a ham and veggie sub from Subway with a pack of apple chips. That's healthy, kind of! Right? 

Do I feel guilty? Horribly. It helps to know that my friends and readers will see the reality of the choice to live a healthy life style. Temptations are all around us. Every minute of the day is spent thinking about what I wish I could eat next, and what I know I'll have to eat instead. It's often disappointing, but I know that in the long run, the occasional slip up is not enough to bring me back to the fat side. You will have fat days. Enjoy them while you can, but be prepared to work your tail off the next day to make up for them.

Today has already started off on a better, and much healthier foot. My breakfast included scrambled egg whites and turkey bacon, followed by a 4.5 mile run. Regardless of the fact that it's a holiday, I am going to do my best to eat right today! If you've been good all week about your diet and exercise, let this be your fat day! Reward yourself for your hard work! 
Enjoy this beautiful day with your family and friends, loves! 

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. Trying to keep my fitness motivation going has been so hard lately. I am doing ok eating, simply because I don't keep the temptations in my home, but when I do "cheat" I go overboard. Thankful to have found your blog and know that I am not alone in my own struggles. Can't wait to try the salad recipe you posted today. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping your guilty pleasures out of the house is a great way to avoid them! I wish I had that much self-control. I appreciate your comment, and thank you for reading!

      Delete