Thursday, June 28, 2012

Re-evaluating

The first step in living a healthy life is evaluating what you are doing now! A lot of people think that a health transformation can be accomplished by increasing the frequency of exercise and taking on whatever fad diet is popular at the time. I'm not saying that diet and exercise aren't important, they are essential. If you are looking to get skinny for a boy or because you want to look good for the summer, then I am not the one to look to for advice. I am all about enlightenment and transforming myself from the inside out. Being healthy is a complete lifestyle change. Simply altering your diet and exercise won't suffice. It is crucial to evaluate every aspect of your life to ensure that you are living it to the fullest. Only then can you become the person that you want to be. 

Step one: Find a support system
To me, this was the most important change that I made in my life. I've been known to associate with the wrong crowd. Obviously, I don't surround myself with thugs or druggies. I'm not talking about that type of crowd; I am talking about Negative Nancys. People that would rather sit around and talk about doing things than actually doing them. For my Grey's Anatomy friends, these are referred to as "watchers". Putting more effort into the friendships I had with positive people motivated me to make better decisions in all aspects of my life. I cannot stress the importance of surrounding yourself with people that WANT to see you succeed and people that would do anything possible in helping you achieve your goals. These are the people that wake up at 9 in the morning to drag you to the gym when you had every intention of sleeping till noon. These are the people that wake up at the crack of dawn to run with or watch you run your very first 5k. These are the people that cross the finish line with you in tears because they are so proud of all of YOUR accomplishments. If you don't have friends like this, you don't have an adequate support system. Find a friend to hold you accountable. Report your daily eating habits to them. Exercise with them! If you are still drawing a blank as to who you can ask to do this with, then it's definitely time to re-evaluate your friendships. Lucky for me, I have the most wonderful and faithful group of friends that support me in all that I do. 
If I were into women, Kelsey would be my soul-mate. Since I am very much not into women, she is someone that I consider to be a very best friend. Kelsey and I met in 2006 during our first year at JSU. It was love at first sight. The first few years of our friendship were spent making each other laugh until we hurt or cried, and our eating habits usually resulted in the same way. We'd eat and gossip for a solid hour during every meal. It was truly the best of times. Kelsey has always been a health nut, but my unhealthy lifestyle never seemed to affect her. She was able to drag me to the gym a few times freshman year, but it wasn't until our first senior year in college (yes, there were two) that she was able to coax me into getting serious about my fitness. She drug me to the gym to attend her dreadful step-aerobic and kick boxing classes. I'd leave dripping sweat from every pore on my body and begging her to never make me attend her classes again. For my first 5k, Kelsey drove 3 hours after working all day to run the race with me. For someone that was used to running marathons and ULTRA-marathons, she kept my incredibly slow pace and never left my side. I crossed the finish line panting like a lioness, but she crossed it in tears. I've never had a friend that was so proud of ME that they cried because of my success. Kelsey Crow, you are one in a million. 
After crossing the finish line! It was a costume 5k. I promise we don't go out in public dressed this way...too often. 

Bless my boyfriend. He is the farthest thing from a morning person that I've ever known. Regardless of how irritable he is in the a.m., Blakely is always waiting for me at the finish line. He has been forced to change his lifestyle to accommodate mine. If that's not a good man, then I don't know what is! He might not ever learn to appreciate exercise or understand the value of drinking water on a regular basis, but as long as he continues to support me in every crazy thing I do, I can't complain.

There are too many people that support me to write about here. You know who you are, and you know that my love and gratitude for you are endless. 

Step two: Get physical! 

Please reference the chart above. If you want to be slightly healthier, take a pleasant stroll in the park 2 or 3 times a week. If you want to lose weight, run or find a workout that you enjoy and do it until your body gives out. Don't stop until your shirt is completely saturated in sweat and your body aches all over. Repeat 3-5 times weekly.
 My biggest fear when I started exercising regularly was being out of breath. I can't explain it any other way. I think people are afraid to push their bodies because rapid breathing seems unnatural. You are going to be out of breath when you exercise; get used to it and learn to love it. 
My love for exercise began in a very simple way. I started walking to my classes rather than driving. That led to a love for being outside which eventually developed into a passion for running. I also started attending exercise classes at school. Most colleges offer free gym access for students. PLEASE take advantage of it! I pay $45 dollars a month to attend a gym that does not have half of the resources that my college's gym had. 
Another common fear is looking ridiculous while exercising in public. I find motivation in working out in front of people. If I am completing a workout DVD at home, I am more likely to quit sooner. If I am running or strength training in a park, I want people to see me and think "Dang! That girl is gettin' it! WORK GIRL!" 
Don't be afraid to exercise in front of people. Chances are, they are focusing more on what they are doing. You are going to look rough. There's just no way around it. When I see women at the gym in their matching yoga suits walking out of an aerobics class with their hair and make up still in place, I can't help but think they didn't apply much effort. If you don't leave the gym looking a hot mess, then you didn't go hard enough. Start slow in your exercise routine, but always remember in the back of your mind that you are going to have to increase the frequency and magnitude of your workouts if you want to continue improving. 
Is time a conflict for you? Too bad. There is a 30 minute time frame in your day to do SOME form of exercise. I am a full time teacher, and this past year was my first year teaching. Because it was my first year, I was at school from 6:45 a.m.-6 or 7 at night. I simply refuse to feel sorry for you because you are pressed for time. Make time to be healthy! I promise it is the most important decision you will ever make. 

Step three: Look at your eating habits
Please believe me when I tell you that I have never dieted for any length of time. I love food and the act of eating too much to ever give it up. My secret was portion control. I knew that I also knew that I didn't have the discipline to count my calories. Eating breakfast is my religion. The first thing I ask people when they tell me about their diet is if they are eating breakfast. Fill yourself up in the mornings! You will feel recharged and energetic through out the day if you have a satisfying breakfast. You will also snack less! It really doesn't matter what you eat in the mornings as long as you are eating! I try to eat within 15 minutes of waking up. It seems like every health magazine/blog I've ever read has said that eating within 15 minutes of waking up will jump start your metabolism. For lunch and dinner, make simple changes to your food choices. Make sure that you have a fruit or vegetable for each meal. Make substitutions where you can. One of the most difficult changes I made to mine and Blakely's grocery list was when I started buying whole wheat bread instead of white. He still hates it, but it's healthier! Little things like that make all the difference. 
Use this chart as a reference when you are planning your meals. 
Self-control is what I struggle with most in my never-ending journey to be healthier. I love chocolate and desserts of any kind. Surprisingly, I haven't given up on them. It's important to be realistic. I always look at what I've eaten and how much I've exercised before I decide on dessert. Consider it a reward! Treat yourself when you deserve it. 
Eating out? Who cares! I love to eat out, especially when it involves cheesy or fried things. Cut your meals in half from the get go! As soon as your server delivers your plate, ask for a to-go box and take exactly half of it home. The best part is that you get to enjoy two meals for the price of one! If you're eating at McDonald's or a place similar to it, order off the kid's menu. You will be surprised to find how filling the smaller portions are at fast food restaurants. 
I will post healthy recipes and tips for not being so fat throughout my blog, so stay tuned!

Here is a small list of essentials in my kitchen. These are things that I HAVE to have on a weekly basis. 
Avocado 
100 Calorie Wholly Guacamole packs with baby carrots for dipping
Bananas 
Turkey bacon
Oatmeal
Yogurt (preferably Greek yogurt, but it can be expensive)
Granola bars (for after workouts- look for the 90 calorie kind!)

Like I said before, healthy living is not an overnight adjustment. It is a lifetime commitment and complete lifestyle change. You have decide when YOU are ready to commit, and most importantly, you have to be willing to make changes everyday. It's not impossible. It's just new.







No comments:

Post a Comment