Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Raising the bar for curvy women

I stumbled across an online interview with Megan Fox the other day that highlighted a quote about how much she "loves her curves". I skimmed the interview and the photos attached, but it really rubbed me the wrong way. Megan Fox is in no way, shape, or form a curvy woman. In fact, Megan Fox could afford to eat a biscuit or two, smothered in gravy and deep friend. Even then, Megan Fox would not possibly qualify as a "curvy" woman. This led me to question society's definition of curvy women. If Megan Fox is considered curvy, I am undoubtably obese by these standards.
I consider myself to be curvy. I have child-bearing hips, thighs that rub together, and a big (and if I might add, phenomenal) butt. If you ran your hands down my sides, you would feel my mounds of muffin top. My size 12 skinny jeans don't hide a single curve, and I wear them proudly. I've earned the title curvy. Megan Fox, by claiming to be a curvy woman, has once again raised the bar to an unattainable level for women. I literally worked my tail off to accomplish curvy, so I am a little offended by Megan Fox claiming this.
Curvy

Definitely not curvy! 

I am a loyal Pinterest-er. My favorite section is Health & Fitness, but I find my image of the ideal woman becoming skewed by it. I never wanted to be muscular when I began my weight loss journey. My only goal for a long time was to get under 200 pounds, and then I was able to set more specific goals from there. It seems like every pin in the Health & Fitness section is a woman with washboard abs or a perfectly toned and perky butt telling me that I can look like that if I commit to whatever ridiculous workout they're advertising. Of course I want to look like those women! They're undeniably sexy, but how realistic is it for me to accomplish that?! Pinterest is plagued with tons of graphics telling readers to "eat clean and train mean" or "train insane or remain the same". As catchy as those sayings are, I find them to be the opposite of motivating. You don't have to be crazy about fitness or commit to a completely unrealistic lifestyle to be healthy. Healthy living is about moderation and doing what's best for you and your body.
Personally, I'm not willing to entirely give up the foods that I love to look like the women I see in movies and in magazines. There's no denying that I put the wrong things in my body from time to time. My mindset really changed this weekend during my race. All I could think for the last few miles was how amazing it was that I was still going after not eating clean all week. I eat candy, I love french fries, and I can run a half marathon faster than most men I know. My BMI is in the perfect range, and I wear the pants size of the average American woman. Tell me I'm not healthy!
Here is a link to an article I found about women who do Crossfit learning to embrace their bodies. It was so refreshing! Most women that Crossfit stop worrying about the number on the scale or how many calories are in each and every bite they consume because Crossfit is all about strength and improving your level of fitness. It was a great read!

5 Ways Crossfit Helps You Embrace Your Shape


This is not me. I found it on a blog last week and I absolutely fell in love with it. I can't tell you how many people, women and men, pass me during my races that are much bigger than me! 


My goal right now is to live an active lifestyle and learn to accept my body for what it is. I also want to be thankful for all it has already accomplished. Curves, rolls, cellulite, and all- I love every flabby bit of it. I'm going to stay away from Pinterest for a while because I'm tired of feeling like all the hard work I've put into my weight loss is meaningless. I'm also going to stay away from all things Megan Fox because she is ignorant.

On a lighter note...
It's the most wonderfully fat and unhealthy time of the year! It's my favorite time of year because like most Americans, I spend the holiday season gorging on candies, pies, and all things terrible. I will more than likely spend the entire month of January regretfully shaming myself for my poor decisions. For some reason though, I feel like this year will be different. Many of my previous posts have been about how I have been working through accepting my body, regardless of it's flaws. I'm learning to live with who I am and part of that is learning to be realistic with my eating and exercise habits.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving- a day devoted to celebrating family and the things we care about most. I could spend my time focusing on the bad decisions I'm going to make, but I much rather center my attention around the memories I'll be making with Blakely's family. I have 363 days in the year to think about the consequences of my unhealthy actions (I am subtracting one for the beast feast that will occur on Christmas Eve). I also have 363 days to make up for them. So tomorrow, eat pie, drown your plate in gravy, and help yourself to a second plate. You have the rest of the year to work it off!

Don't ever forget it! 

1 comment:

  1. THAT is curvy? Please! They can come take a look at my size 12-14 body and see curvy. No wait, they would say I'm a whale and need to lose 50 lbs. Smh. So sad!!

    ReplyDelete