Wednesday, January 23, 2013

So Fresh, So Clean


We are almost a month into 2013. How are those health resolutions coming along? It's too soon to quit, so save the excuses for June or July!

I survived my detox. Day one was probably one of the most miserable days in the history of my life (yes, I am THAT fat). Not eating for an entire day was far more difficult than I imagined it would be, but I did it! I drank at least two liters of water and two cups of vegetable stock. By day two, I was more than ready to chow down on some fruit! My meals consisted of pineapple, grapes, and grapefruit. It wasn't the General Tso Chicken I so desperately longed for, but it was better than pretending to enjoy the water my vegetables soaked in for thirty minutes... I hadn't prepared myself for the caffeine headaches that would go along with detoxing. I was a miserable grouch, and Blakely is the best man I know for putting up with me.
Day three was probably the most difficult. I planned my detox to where I wouldn't be a starving grouch around my kids, so the first two days were done on the weekend. By day three, I could have raw vegetables, fruits, and liquids. I woke up and began preparing my breakfast, but something wasn't right. I felt faint and my vision began to tunnel. When I saw myself in the mirror, my lips were the color of my skin. My knees were super shaky, and I felt like I couldn't stand another second. I sat in the floor and shouted until Blakely woke up. He brought my breakfast to me on the floor and it made all the difference in the world. I'm no expert, but I am guessing my sugar bottomed out due to my lack of food intake over the past 3 days.
As the week progressed, I reintroduced my body to carbs and proteins. I was bursting with energy, and most importantly, I FELT healthy. By day seven, I had dropped 6 pounds, I was sleeping harder than ever, and I was in the best mood of my life.

This detox has given me ample time (or so I thought...) to rest my foot. I rested my foot the entire week. I avoided working out too much because I wasn't taking in enough calories to burn, and I really didn't feel like dying. On day 6, Nanci and I purchased a gym membership and the YMCA. I've already put it to good use! I've been experimenting with new classes and really focusing on strength training. My new obsession is spin class! I went to the Sunrise Spin Class on Friday since school was delayed for two hours. The class begins at 5:30 *cringe*, and the bikes are in a room surrounded by windows. They turn off the lights, so the first part of the class is lit by Christmas lights. The sun slowly creeps up and fills the room while the class is going on. Somehow, I managed to take a moment to appreciate the beauty of the sunrise in between the uphill sprints. By the time the class was over, I was pouring sweat from every pore of my body. My calves and thighs burned like the flames of hell and I was convinced my ass was going to fall off my body entirely. It was the best workout I've had in months, and I had tons of energy throughout the day. It was totally worth waking up at 4:40 on a workday.

Last week was just what I needed to motivate me for my month of clean eating! I started Monday, and I can already tell that it's going to be fabulous! I've eaten 5 meals today, but I don't feel bloated or guilty in the least.

  • Meal one: Peanut butter BAN-oatmeal. Mash a half of a banana in a bowl, add plain rolled oats and a tbsp. of natural peanut putter or almond butter. Add water and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes. I like to add a little bit of cinnamon for some more flava! It's my new obsession. I made if for Blakely and he added a spoonful of brown sugar because the banana wasn't sweet enough by itself. If you are eating clean, skip on the sugar!
  • Meal two (post run): Oikos plain yogurt sweetened with honey and apple slices
  • Meal three: Turkey bacon, lettuce, and tomato on whole grain bread
  • Meal four: An avocado
  • Meal 5: Turkey lasagna roll-ups made with lean ground turkey, spinach, ricotta cheese, and crushed tomatoes. I also ate a small spinach salad with it. 


Altogether, I've eaten right at 1,300 calories today. No shame in that!

Today was the first day of my 30 days of clean eating, but I've been experimenting with clean recipes all weekend.
Friday, I made clean turkey chili that was oh-so delicious and guilt free! I froze the leftovers in cupcake tins to take with me for lunches this week.

Annie came down this weekend and we made chicken and vegetable kabobs with bakedsweet potatoes and apples on the side

The recipe calls for chiles, but I didn't think it would be as good with those, so we left them out.

Even Blakely, advocate of all food processed, can't deny the deliciousness of these meals! I think I am going to win this argument!

Like, I said before, I thought a week would be more than enough time for my foot to heal. I've been itching to run now that I've got all of this energy. I ran three miles on Saturday. I didn't want to jump into it and injure myself on my first day back, so I purposefully kept it short and slow. I was hoping to dive back into it this morning with a 5 mile run. The first two and a half were perfect. I was actually feeling like I could do more than 5 because the weather was so beautiful and I was deep into "the zone". About 2.8 miles into my run, I came down off a slope and landed on my foot all kinds of wrong. I took three more strides before the pain became completely unbearable. My half marathon is a little more than a month away, and I have only run 8 miles in two weeks. I should be running 8 miles everyday. This is a SERIOUS problem. I know I need to rest it, and I know I can cause long-term damage if I'm not careful, but the thought of missing out on this challenge that I have spent years training for is more painful than any injury I could physically sustain. I pride myself in never quitting. It's kind of my thing... I don't know if it's considered quitting to throw in the towel due to injury, but it would feel a hell-of-a-lot like it to me. I'm going to tryout the elliptical tomorrow. It's less impact and I can still get my cardio in. I have a follow up appointment with my podiatrist on Thursday, and I am crossing every single finger and toe that he will have some ideas for how I can speed up my recovery time. Prayers/thoughts/good vibes/whatever ya got, I'll take 'em!

The weather has been SO perfect for outside activities this weekend. If you are able to, go outside and enjoy it while it lasts! Be active and be healthy! Use this to motivate you this week! 

When you think you haven't got a single bit of fight left in you, remember that your body is so much stronger than your mind. Have faith in yourself because you are the only thing standing in the way of your success.
Best of luck on your journey toward a happier and HEALTHIER life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment